Tara C. Fappiano
Advocate. Mediator. Litigator.
Conflict Resolution Consulting.
I spent over 20 years in the trenches as a trial attorney, but my passion is in the areas of special education and disability law. Wanting to help clients in a more sustainable way, I have transitioned into a new type of practice.
My goal is to empathize, collaborate, and advocate for clients to find them resolutions, in special education, discriminatory conflicts, and other areas. I am a trained mediator, and have extensive experience in negotiations. I offer services to anyone looking to mediate a dispute, or who may benefit from training in conflict resolution. I offer consulting services to school districts, non-profits, boards, employers, and other organizations looking to proactively learn ways to avoid conflict. The goal is to create sustainable relationships without the need for extensive litigation.
Why Work With Me?
I have been told that I am relatable and approachable, which makes me an excellent negotiator and fair mediator. I understand how relationships and emotion affect decision making. For this reason, I enjoy working with clients who are collaborative, but also give me the leeway to be creative and proactive in defending them, and aggressive when needed. I pride myself on knowing where to strike a balance in the tack I take for a collaborative approach to resolution.
I also have a deep commitment to ensuring equal rights for those with disabilities. This drives my commitment to families, children, and schools. I love advocating and representing persons with disabilities, as well as providing risk management for businesses in this area. For organizations, I am teaching these skills to further this commitment.
- New York, New Jersey and Connecticut State Bar Admission
- Basic Mediation Training, New York Peace Institute
- Advanced Mediation Training, American Arbitration Association
- Conflict Management Coaching Certification
- United States District Court Admissions: District of New Jersey, Eastern District of New York, Southern District of New York
- Certified Kids Yoga and Mindfulness Teacher
- Certified Parent Member, Hudson Valley Special Education Parent Center
- Marketing Success: How Did She Do That? Women Lawyers Show You How to Move Beyond Tips to Implementation
- Parenting for Professional: Practical Considerations for the Working Attorney (Regular Column, Westchester Women’s Bar Association Newsletter
- Note: Finding a Legal Remedy for the HIV-Positive Infant: Wrongful Life and Lack of Informed Consent Explored
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Disability Rights Bar Association
- Westchester County Bar Association
- Westchester Women’s Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- New York City Bar Association
- New York Dispute Resolution, Inc.
- National and New York State Parent Teacher Associations
- Tuckahoe PTA, Past President, Vice President and Chair of Special Education Committee
- Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates, Inc.
- Girl Scouts of America, Troop Leader
- Mediate.com, Premium Member
- Supreme Court, Bronx County, Volunteer Neutral, Pilot Presumptive Mediation Program
- Volunteer New York!, Board Member
- Westchester Community College, Paralegal Studies Program, Advisory Board Member
- Proud graduate of Volunteer New York’s Leadership Westchester program, class of 2018